More sector information will be added to this area of our site soon.
Safety Culture Development
'Safety Culture' is recognised as being the single key driver of health and safety performance. It reflects people's collective beliefs and attitudes towards safety.
Although intangible, an organisation's 'safety culture' is the result of interactions between their systems, attitudes and perceptions of safety.
At WSP our team of chartered occupational psychologists assess safety culture in the same way that a personality assessment is conducted to provide a profile of an individual.
This establishes a picture of your organisation's safety culture. This knowledge helps you predict and eliminate the sort of things that will cause an incident, because we understand what makes people act unsafely.
In totality our approach covers:
- Measurement techniques such as audits and safety climate surveys
- Setting expectations via a safety leadership charter
- Developing safety leadership skills throughout the organisation
- Engaging employees to identify problems and participate in developing systems
- Ensuring everyone is accountable
- Communicating the framework to the business
- Setting training and competency targets with agreed measurements
- One to one coaching and constructive feedback
- Delivering learning through analysis to identify root causes and develop solutions
Systems alone will not drive safety improvement. The key is to develop beliefs and values and instil these in the culture of your organisation through leadership and employee participation.
WSP's approach is designed to engage the hearts and minds of all involved. It will help your business develop a strategy that includes tangible characteristics and therefore measurable and manageable performance.
What Rexam plc say
“Your team provided us with balanced, business focused support in a timely and cost effective manner, to help us implement cultural change in the way we manage our EHS programmes.”
Group Risk Manager, Rexam plc