Sustainability & Responsibility
"We consider corporate responsibility not as an addition to the way we work, but as an integral part of everything we do. We are passionate about our contribution to society and the environment through the professional expertise we deliver to clients and by actively mitigating our own impacts and being a responsible global citizen."
Chris Cole, Executive Chairman of WSP and GENIVAR
Activities that contribute to our corporate responsibility and sustainability efforts are wide ranging but brought together the results are something to be proud of.
We concentrate on ensuring we have a diverse team which operates safely and ethically. We engage in community projects and charity work. We have innovative ways of managing our own environmental impacts. And we have worked on some staggering projects with our clients which mitigate environmental harm and promote the future sustainability of our planet.
Fundamentally we are an eclectic bunch of sustainability specialists, so we are in a pretty unique position to have a positive impact on this planet. Some examples might help to build a picture of what we do:
- In one project in Australia we hope to save enough water to fill 105,000 Olympic sized swimming pools
- In one year in the UK our client work saved enough carbon to fill 14,666 hot air balloons
- We work free of charge for charities to help them develop their own environmental strategies and policies
- We regularly undertake community uplift programmes in South Africa which has included installing a water pump powered by a children's merry-go-round
- We were the first company in the UK to launch a personal carbon tracking scheme for our staff
- Several members of our senior team have had extensive involvement with the organisation, Business in the Community in the UK which helps shape the way business responds to climate change
Keep reading through this section to discover more about our approach, our successes and our activities.