Making a difference
We support the communities we work in through planned and organised company activities. We also provide a supportive environment for our staff to volunteer their time. We regard both as very important in our culture.
Our company activities
Just some examples include:
- PACT. A framework to encourage our people to track their own personal carbon emissions and manage their environmental impact to an agreed level. By signing up staff commit to donate any ‘fines’ for exceeding limits to a UK charity, and can also offer their £100 bonus to the charity if they have been energy efficient . Find out more about PACT at WSP.
- Pro Bono programme. In the US as part of our pro bono scheme, we delivered an environmental assessment for the Northern Virginia Therapeutic Riding Program. This is a non-profit organisation dedicated to enriching the lives of children and adults with disabilities, through horseback riding programmes. In the process of buying part of a new farm for the organisation, WSP conducted a typical Phase I assessment to determine if they were inheriting any environmental liabilities.
Our team’s activities
Here are a few great examples of what our teams get up to all over the world:
- City2Surf. Our Sydney team recently took part in the ‘City2Surf’ 14km event from Sydney City to the iconic Bondi Beach. The early morning rain did not dampen our spirits as everyone enjoyed the race through some of Sydney’s most picturesque locations. Our team managed to raise $1,650 for the Humpty Dumpty Foundation – a charity that provides lifesaving medical equipment for sick and injured children and newborn babies.
- Trekking Suits challenge. Our Australian team have helped raise money to build a house for orphaned children in Nepal by sponsoring two individuals trekking for 11 days along the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal wearing their business suits!
- Ace Mentor. WSP Flack + Kurtz actively participate in and lead Ace Mentor, a national programme in the US to introduce the Architectural/Engineering profession to underpriviledged school students.
- London to Paris. Staff from our UK offices rode from London to Paris raising funds for the British Heart Foundation.
Food parcels for families in South Africa - as part of Mandela Day, a technician in the Durban office, organised a community outreach program in his own community in Shongweni. This program arranged food parcels for families identified as being in particular need of assistance. The WSP team made a generous donation to this cause and were able to purchase necessity items (rice, maize meal, oil, dry beans, sugar etc) to supply enough for 3 families for a period of about a month.