More sector information will be added to this area of our site soon.
Ever increasing levels of product-related legislation are affecting manufacturing organisations across the world.
The strength of our global team is that we are able to advise clients on the impacts and requirements of different legislation worldwide.
Most of the legislation is focused on driving sustainability credentials in product design. WSP has a strong track record in helping our clients deliver a balance between business sustainability, best practice and meeting minimum legislative standards.
This section of our website details the impacts of some of the main product-related legislation that affect many of our clients – the majority driven from the EU:
- WEEE – Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations
- RoHS – Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment
- REACH – Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals
- EuP – Energy-using-Products Directive
In addition, we also advise clients on the impacts of the Batteries Directive, the ‘end of life’ requirements affecting vehicles, and other emerging legislation from the EU.
What is really interesting is the approach we take in helping our clients determine their exposure and their response. Specifically, we:
- Host online subscription based web services. These provide detailed information on current and emerging legislation, both for the electronic and the clothing and footwear sectors
- We develop online calculator tools. These help designers determine the extent of impact from components used in the manufacture of their products, for example packaging and the energy used in electrical products. Visit our Product Ecology site to view a dedicated tool with a free 14 day trial.
- We also work with clients to implement complete product stewardship campaigns. These will help them meet sustainability targets and ‘design for environment’ principles, including a focus on supply-chain management