Sustainability strategy for Stockholm Arena
WSP has designed the sustainability strategy for new SEK 2.0bn Stockholm Arena.
In 2012 a new multipurpose venue for sports, culture and entertainment will open in Stockholm, near the Globe area. Complete with sliding roof, the Stockholm Arena will provide a world class facility for international soccer, concerts, motor sports, company events, trade fairs and much more.
Commissioned by the City of Stockholm, WSP is delighted to have been involved in the sustainable design of this important, iconic development. Our Building Physics team has developed and delivered an integrated sustainability strategy for the Arena. Their work has included advising on:
- the most appropriate use of renewable energy
- implementation of effective energy efficiency techniques such as Heat & Ventilation systems to maintain a constant indoor temperature
- the most effective methods for waste treatment
- use of sustainable materials in the construction
- an efficient transportation plan to support events at the Arena
The Arena will provide seating for 30,000, extending up to a total audience capacity of 45,000 for concerts. It is designed in accordance with UEFA and FIFA rules for international soccer regarding seating, size, security, lighting, sound etc. The project also includes an extension of the Globe area with 45,000 sq m of commercial space, a hotel, and 60,000 sq m of office space.
Our sustainability strategy will ensure the Arena is efficient in terms of its construction, energy use, waste management, and impact on the surrounding area.