Barclays Green Leader
Barclays, in association with Bloomberg News, launched an award to identify the UK’s green leaders. We were particularly interested in the award as it recognised organisations that have demonstrated that helping to build a sustainable future is more than just a matter of conscience, it needs to make sound commercial sense. Something that we widely endorse. Sustainability and commerciality can absolutely work hand in hand.
The award, announced in September 2008, completed six months of competition, with WSP being selected from an original entry of hundreds of companies.
“This was a highly competitive award and to reach the final 12 is a great recognition of the hard work and innovation of all of our teams and the commercial impact we have helped our clients achieve.” says David Symons, Director at WSP.
The other eleven companies ranged from Innocent Drinks (who were recognised as the overall winners of the large business category), through to Ecotricity, a green electricity supplier, and other companies including a wood-to-energy power station, a renewable nappy company, and Moixa energy, who produce a battery that can be recharged through a USB port. Get more details here: WSP environmental solutions
Our submission recognised the way we manage the sustainability of our own company and our activities to improve the sustainability activities of our clients. Highlights included:
- Working on a water efficiency project in Australia that aims to save enough water to fill 105,000 Olympic size swimming pools
- Working to produce the green building specification framework for the whole of Dubai
- Being the first company in the UK to launch a personal carbon tracking scheme for our staff
- Being one of the first companies in the sector to offer pro-bono support for UK charities
- For taking the investment to educate our clients on key market issues as they emerge
- For our success in new product innovation and in rapidly establishing ourselves as a leading provider of energy certificates for clients involved in commercial property
WSP Environment & Energy was delighted to be named as one of the ‘Top 12 Green Leader in Business’ at the Barclays UK 2008 awards.